Chess's Blog v2.0

Monday, January 23, 2006

Weakend

Not a great weekend. I was sick Friday and Saturday, and then Ghost was sick on Sunday. Not sure what it is about my luck but when I get sick, it always seems to be either a holiday or a weekend. Well, I use less PTO that way, I guess.

The way viruses spread always scares me. Ghost got sick from her parents who got sick from visiting Di's grandmother in a nursing home where several other people had it. If we ever have a real pandemic, the word chaos won't even begin to describe what an infected area will be like. Businesses would lose billions of dollars as no one in a society that is already health conscious (did I mention seeing a cart sanitizer at the grocery store the other day?) will risk exposing themselves or loved ones to any but the briefest human contact. Worse, we've become a culture that is so reliant on being provided for (fast food, grocery stores, etc) that to quarantine an area the size of a major city would require a supply chain of biblical proportions. It will be like New Orleans, but on a larger scale. (I still can't get those images of desperate people clutching water bottles out of my head.) And trying to actually contain people in an infected 'hot' zone sounds easy on paper (or in the movies) but if you have a population that knows its territory, they will find a way of escaping. Not to mention the inevitable problems of infected people leaving an area before even realizing that they have something.

Hmm...bleak stuff. Must be Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home