Chess's Blog v2.0

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Thrifty Thursday

I finally got back to something I haven't done for months - visited the Poway thrift stores. While this used to be a source for my Chessasaur's Game Fossils eBay sales, its become more of an archeological expedition for old PC games. People are dumping old games there and because a number of the game companies have closed over the years, there are things there you won't find anywhere else (well, except for eBay of course). I got three today - one for Sarah, one because I couldn't let it stay there (the MS 3D Moviemaker for .50 cents) and one old Sierra On-Line game. My criteria for these games is that they be on CDROM (as that denotes they are at least around the time of Windows 95) and not be horribly scratched up. Actually, most discs I find at the thrift stores are in remarkably good shape. I guess I collect these old games almost the way a stamp collector does - I keep them in CaseLogic books, mostly for viewing but I also think of them as little portals to other worlds. Sort of like that old Star Trek episode with the library of teleport discs.

Ironic Moment of the Day: I had to wait for a Mercedes sedan to pull out and leave before the Jaguar in front of me could park - at the Salvation Army thrift store. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home